A Brief History of Time

I’ve just finished reading it! Every single word. Do I understand it? Not at all. 

Well, not quite. I could grasp a few concepts, and they were helped immeasurably by the fact that I was reading the illustrated edition. Without those illustrations, with just plain text, I would have given up after a chapter of two.

What amazes me - and I’m not being sarcastic - is that there are people in this world who can actually make sense of the following sentence.

Because one is using Euclidean space-times, in which the time direction is on the same footing as directions in space, it is possible for space-time to be finite in extent and yet to have no singularities that formed a boundary or edge.

It gives me hope for the future, because who knows what wonders such people may yet discover?

Comments

Popular Posts